How does a musician and music lover find balance between their faith and their ears?

I pose this after having been to a Metal show last evening. I was talking with my Dad this morning, regaling the to-die for guitars, outrageous drum kits and beautiful basses. He was a very good person to talk to because I am certain I got my music addiction from him.

Music to me is something more than I can describe. It makes me live. It fills my soul and is everywhere I go. I have played in worship bands, sing and play guitar. I love the ability to both applicate and participate in this great unifier of nations. Beyond the Christian or "Religious" music that I listen to, I listen to a fair amount of Rock, Alternative, Folk, Acoustic, International, Jazz, Classical, R+B, Hip-Hop,and a wee bit of Opera. And yes, a hint of Country when push comes to shove. So, adding some Metal and harder rock to the list, we have most general genre's coved. You will find some Electronica, Techno and Underground as well, but that is for my sweet web hacks. ;) (I am kidding of course.)

The best music for me has some serious complexity to it, where I can both appreciate the skill and what the artist is saying. I can enjoy the technical side of Death and Doom Metal, but as for an everyday listen, I don't think we will become regulars. My Dad made a very good point at reminding me about where I stand as a Christian within a group that would much rather wear the anti-Christ symbol. And in a twist of irony, the band Lamb of God. How do you explain that one to them? Do they even know what they are saying by wearing that? Although for me it had a powerful image, not of the band, but of the sacrifice Christ made on the cross, being the ultimate lamb for all our sins. They wouldn't see it that way. They see it as the name of a band, who have chosen to change it to mean something so much less that what it actually is. So there in, Metal and I part ways in a major disagreement. You prefer to pervert my faith and its symbols. I can't jive with that. I may enjoy watching how hard the drummer is working, how skilled the bassist is, and how much fun the lead guitarist is having, but you cross the line when you mock what I  believe in. I will not say that this will stop me from listening to Metal ever, but it does put it into a conflicted situation. Does this serve my God? Is this honoring to Him? We are told to value ever second of our lives, how much more or less does this serve me and my calling than listening to music set to the tune of worship? When you love music, this is a hard line to draw.

 My parents are very kind. My dad did say that if I did choose to make a regular attendance of this kind of show, they would have to sit down and talk with me, but knowing that they will let me try most things     ( within proper reason, morals and ideologies.) once, to understand and see what it is like.

I know although I can dress, and talk like a rocker, there is too much of a strong Christian woman in me for me to ever fit in. And that isn't the idea. Some could say, "Well can't you just let go and enjoy the music?" Certainly I can and do. But how much for someone who has a spiritual and soulful connection  with music, is too much? When does it stop being just casual listening, and when does it invade your lifestyle and the way that you live?

My God has gifted me with musical gifts, and the ability to worship. It is such a special thing to be able to say I sing songs of the angels in worship to our great and mighty King. And freely where I live, too. So the main point to all of this is to find balance. God isn't calling this rock-fist generation any less to the alter than He calls me on any given day. He is passionately pursuing this tight knit community of brotherhoods and sisterhoods to himself. Music has a power to connect even the most estranged people, and that is why it is so powerful.

There are hopeless people at every corner of this world, and I am fortunate enough to have the hope of a future and the grace from God that I did not ever earn. These are all seekers. Looking for a sound loud enough to make them feel something. Looking for that scream that will shake their bones. God does not love them any less, though they mock Him to His face. So how do we as Christians reach them? Through our music, our convictions and conversation. This I believe. I know this to be true. The more we crank up our truth, the more we blow the veil off of the noise of the world and bring freedom. That is our great commission. To go out into the world and make disciples. Bring Christ in to be a light and a undeniable example of love.

God gave me this gift of love for music. It reaches me in ways that words cannot. So in remembering that, it helps me keep a balance and focus of how and what I choose to do and what I let effect me.
Though the devil horn salute is prevalent we as Christians have to keep in mind we are no longer under his yoke. Be have been set free by the One and only Prince of Peace. A great and mysterious God. This may have been a check and measure of my soul, but with my love of music, I know that I will have to be careful about it for all of my days.

Passions can be great but they can also hurt people around us if we are not careful to show them where they stand in our lives.

So my friends, keep rocking for the One in all that you do,

Emily ,lm One way. One life. One God.

Comments

Popular Posts