If I count all I've got, what I've got is a lot!


I picked up my mail a few days ago and happened to open a few pieces this morning as I was still waking up and considering what to have for breakfast.

I had mail from a credit card company offering me a loan, mail informing me about my retirement pension and from my health care insurance company. I read through each envelope's various contents and placed some information aside for filing and some for recycling.

As I sat there quietly at my dining room table I found myself reflecting on the contents. I have no need of a loan as I am neither in debt nor do I have burning desires for things I do not need. I am grateful for that. I am saving up for my retirement as well as have a pension. I am thankful for that. I have coverage for my health needs that is more than adequate for my current needs. I appreciate that.

There are so many people who do not have all I have. There are people who struggle to make ends meet, are facing extremely difficult decisions, have serious health conditions, are having to reevaluate what they are going to do for a career due to an accident, are struggling with their mental, emotional or physical health, and are lonely and alone. There are men and women who are feeling terribly lost, unheard, limited in their opportunities, face war, famine and disease. There are children who are abused, judged, threatened, manipulated, excluded, and terrified for their lives.

I know I cannot fix all of these problems, nor do I see all the struggles and challenges faced by those around me. All I can do is remember to give out of the abundance I have in my life to those I meet, one day at a time.

If I expand my vision to encapsulate all I have and am grateful for--both tangible and intangible--my heart is joyfully overwhelmed.

I am exceedingly grateful and thankful:


  • For a country where I can pursue and practice my faith and beliefs without persecution.
  • That I have known peace, safety and security in the country I live in.
  • That I live in a country where I am not limited to what I can achieve as a woman.
  • That I have a wonderfully loving family, both extended and immediate. 
  • That my relationships with my Mom, Dad and Sister have grown even stronger and are better this year in so many precious ways.
  • That I am surrounded by a host of incredible friends who encourage, care, include and adventure with me, just as I am.
  • That I have found solutions to my questions and challenges with my health.
  • That I have a career that I have practiced, studied and worked hard for that provides me with opportunities as well as a comfortable lifestyle.
  • That I have excellent co-workers and a manager that are so supportive and an awesome environment to grow in.
  • That I live in a culture and a society that allows me to pursue the academic, athletic and interests that I love. It is not so long ago that a career woman was unheard of, nor women who practiced any version of martial arts. 
  • For music! (No seriously. You have no idea.) :P Haha! 
  • That I can express myself as an artist, athlete and woman. 
  • That I have mutual respect from my peers, and developed some lifelong friendships.
  • That I have opportunities to serve, volunteer, teach, and learn at work, in my church and in the dojo. 
  • That I have mentors and leaders who trust and instruct me, as well as advocate for me.
  • For the travel I have done and beautiful places I have been.
  • That I have experienced forgiveness, grace, kindness, love, generosity, thoughtfulness, happy tears, truth, discipline, mentorship, challenge, restoration, responsibility, opportunity, adventure, suffering, grief, growth, freedom, wisdom, silliness, laughter, sorrow, hope, determination, correction, courage, strength, weakness, disappointment, shadow, storm, strief, victory, celebration, honesty, humility, awe, wonder, surprise, second chances, bittersweet moments, silence, stillness, reflection, excitement, thrill, curiosity, limitation, encouragement, understanding, sympathy, gratitude, thankfulness, tenderness, helplessness, heartbreak, rejection, despair, anger, frustration, connection, joy, beauty, support, conviction, passion and acceptance. 
There is so much more that I can say. But for now, I believe that this sums it up nicely. :)

I am going to go soak up some sunshine!

L&P,

Em




 

Comments

Diwakar said…
Hello sister in the Lord. I am so glad to know you through your profile on the blogger. I am also glad to stop by your blog "the Passing Wisdom" and the post on it "If I count all I've got is a lot!. A very grateful heart of acknowleging and counting what you have received for the Lord. I am touched by your post and also blessed very much. How oftern we take things for granted but counting blessings and acknowleging them with grateful heart is what we need to do in our every day life. Thank you so much for reminding me to acknowlege God's faithfulness in my life and being thankful for it. Well let me share with you about the project our church has in Mumbai, India. Our church encourges young people as well as adults from the West to come to Mumbai on a short / long term missions trip to work with us during their vacation time. I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 35yrs in the great city of Mumbai a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. since we encourage young people as well as adults from the West to come to Mumbai on a short / long term missions trip, we would love to have you come with your friends or encourage your friends to go to Mumbai on a short term missions trip. Looking foward to hear from you very soon. My email id is : dhwnakhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. God's richest blessings on you and your work.

Popular Posts