What's Stopping You? Part 2: Renew | Plans for 2014


Renewal.

We all need moments where we can renew, refresh and recharge. I can imagine that for some there is great expectation placed on the new year. For others, perhaps it is nothing more than a reset of the calendar. Last year was full of many new ideas, challenging moments and change. So I am personally looking forward to 2014 with both hope and, oddly enough, a contented stillness.

I am turning 26 this year. The downhill march towards 30 I guess in some ways, as well as the further reinforcement of everything I have experienced since the very beginning of my 20s. I believe that this year will see the continued curing of all the new foundation work I invested in last year, mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually.

Here are a few of my goals for 2014: 



  • Fitness: 
    • I currently am as small as, and possibly even smaller than I was in high school. I am stronger, more flexible and more physically fit than I was then. This has been a long journey, almost 10 years in fact. At my heaviest, I was almost 160lb on a 5,4" frame.
    •  Martial artist's must be a mix of muscle strength, reflexes, flexibility and endurance. We have to fine tune and challenge our bodies, if we want continued progress. My black belt studies require jumping, spinning, flying, turning and a lot more "gymnastic" movements than other belt levels. Every brown belt discovers new joys and areas they need to work more diligently in with these additions. 
    • I am  making plans to run more frequently. I have friends who run and are shaping their own goals surrounding this that I am partnering with to help make my goals a new habit. I bought some great pink running shorts and am excited to laugh and sweat it out with the other ladies. 
    • I want to ride my mountain bike more than I did last year. As well as get out and play some more tennis. I miss having matches, come rain or shine. 
    • I will hike in new places I haven't been to in the Thompson Nicola region.
    • Finally, I would very much like to run in a race this year. I can be very competitive, but do not have many outlets to test my true athletic competitive spirit, as my dojo is non-competitive due to our vast student base. This is one of those things I have always wondered about, but never truly tried. 

  • Health: 
    • After meeting with my Naturopath in May 2012, I finally received a definitive diagnosis for some health challenges that came to light, specifically in my graduating year from high school. They showed up in university, and again in spring of 2012. This has been transformative in making a lot of my current lifestyle possible. So for 2014, it will be another year of repeating and continuing the process I have started.
    •  I want to floss more. Haha. This was my own decision. 
    • I want to sleep more. Within reason of course. I have to work too. 
    • I want to try a new recipe at least once a month.  
    • I will continue to approach life with less fear and face it with a courage founded in peace.
    • I will continue to journal and read books that challenge and empower me.
    • I will allow for rest.
    • I will encourage my creativity to grow. More music, more art etc.
    • I will focus on the things that are healthy, good, bring me joy, require no value compromise and are empowering.

  • Travel:
    • I have yet to travel to the Kootenays in British Columbia. I would very much like to do that this year. 
    • I am considering taking a week of holidays to volunteer at one of the many camps I grew up going to every summer. 
    • I would love to do some more sailing. The poor Flying Junior has been neglected due to Dad's health, and my lack of a first mate/Captain. (Pun possibly intended...)
    • I would very much like to spend more time visiting with Becca in Kelowna. I love driving and road trips. 
    • Camping. I definitely want to do a whole lot more camping this year. 
  • Finance:
    • I will begin budgeting and planning for larger investments. (Home, Dog, etc.) 
    • I will look at other fundraising organizations I can work with, outside of my current list.
    • I will make strides in further financial wisdom and management.
  • Relationships:
    • I will continue to pick and chose the people in my life. Those who have earned the "limited access" title, will stay that way. 
    • I will be graceful to myself, so that I may be graceful to others.
    • I will balance both time to myself so I can recharge, as well as time with others.
    • I will take my relationships more seriously. (as funny as that may sound.) If I want the kind of relationships that are based on a mutual giving and receiving, I need to make time for them and seek them out. 
    • I believe that I am in a stage of life now that I am ready--and willing--to make the decisions and efforts required to make room for a serious and long term romantic relationship. I am a woman who would like to be married and have a family. I am in no rush to "make it happen". I am willing to actively move forward with my life and live it, while making myself open and available for a relationship like this to take place. I am no longer afraid of the time it may take or the growth that will take place. A girl has to grow up sometime.

Comments

Popular Posts